After watching the DC United vs. Columbus Crew MLS match
on Friday and then flipping over to the Cleveland Cavaliers game,
I realized I had watched more MLS in 3 weeks (and only 3 days of games) than I had watched NBA games all year. I even ended up switching to ESPN classic to watch the 1979 NCAA men's basketball championship b/w Indiana St and Michigan St after about 10 minutes of the NBA. I figured it was time to list my sporting preferences in case I come over to your house soon and you want to make me comfortable (I'll bring the beer).
1. THE NFL
- Hands down this is what I dig the most. To continue the NBA bashing, I've read more about the NFL schedule
than I have about the NBA playoffs. And the really big news the NFL draft
? Let's just say if you called me Mel Kiper, Jr.
, jr. I would consider it the highest compliment anyone ever paid me.
- I wouldn't have guessed this was my #2, but since I watch the Cup races, the Busch series,
and the truck races
I'm going to have to put this near the top. Maybe those 3 things alone don't push it past college basketball, but when you factor in watching qualifying, happy hour, and pretty much anything the Speed Channel
shows dealing w/ NASCAR, it gives the guys making left turns all day the edge.
3. College Basketball
- Let's just say that this gets a big boost b/c of a certain team in the southern part of heaven.
But I do watch most of the ACC
games (Clemson vs Florida St? There's 2 hours of my life I'll never see again). And the NCAA tournament is #2 behind the NFL playoffs in terms of sporting events.
4. College Football
- This ranking may be slightly skewed b/c it's not football season. I certainly watch a lot more than the ACC when it comes to football season (thank you Hawaii
for the midnight eastern start times). Still, after a Carolina national championship I can't say I like the football better than the basketball.
5. U.S. Soccer
- I watch some soccer from the rest of the world, and I can tell that it's of a higher caliber than what we have here in the USA, but I don't care. I like watching the US national team, and MLS
has me (and apparently only me) in its grip.
- Over the course of my life, I've probably watched more baseball than any other sport. I don't dislike baseball
, but I'd rather watch a good pitchers duel and they don't make pitchers like they used to
7. Professional Wrestling
- You can say it's not a sport, but it is on my tv right now. It's not about the wins and losses like other sports. It's all about attitude
. Have I mentioned that I have an attitude?
- I like basketball as a sport a lot, but the NBA is just boring. When they got rid of the illegal defense call a few years ago, I thought it would lead to more team play. In many ways it did like the Pistons winning last year's championship. Still this is a league that lives for the one on one play but can't match And 1 Street Ball
in that department. When my brother was talking about New Jersey and Philly battling for the last playoff spot, I had no idea what the league standings were. I don't have that same problem w/ NASCAR.
- The NHL playoffs are great. That said, I don't watch the regular season and there aren't any playoffs this year.
There you go. Let me know when I can come over some weekend afternoon and if you provide child care. If you want to watch a sport not on this list, I'm game as long as you provide the beer.