Monday, April 18, 2005

Dan Smith Sports Food Chain

After watching the DC United vs. Columbus Crew MLS match on Friday and then flipping over to the Cleveland Cavaliers game, I realized I had watched more MLS in 3 weeks (and only 3 days of games) than I had watched NBA games all year. I even ended up switching to ESPN classic to watch the 1979 NCAA men's basketball championship b/w Indiana St and Michigan St after about 10 minutes of the NBA. I figured it was time to list my sporting preferences in case I come over to your house soon and you want to make me comfortable (I'll bring the beer).

1. THE NFL - Hands down this is what I dig the most. To continue the NBA bashing, I've read more about the NFL schedule than I have about the NBA playoffs. And the really big news the NFL draft? Let's just say if you called me Mel Kiper, Jr., jr. I would consider it the highest compliment anyone ever paid me.

2. NASCAR - I wouldn't have guessed this was my #2, but since I watch the Cup races, the Busch series, and the truck races I'm going to have to put this near the top. Maybe those 3 things alone don't push it past college basketball, but when you factor in watching qualifying, happy hour, and pretty much anything the Speed Channel shows dealing w/ NASCAR, it gives the guys making left turns all day the edge.

3. College Basketball - Let's just say that this gets a big boost b/c of a certain team in the southern part of heaven. But I do watch most of the ACC games (Clemson vs Florida St? There's 2 hours of my life I'll never see again). And the NCAA tournament is #2 behind the NFL playoffs in terms of sporting events.

4. College Football - This ranking may be slightly skewed b/c it's not football season. I certainly watch a lot more than the ACC when it comes to football season (thank you Hawaii for the midnight eastern start times). Still, after a Carolina national championship I can't say I like the football better than the basketball.

5. U.S. Soccer - I watch some soccer from the rest of the world, and I can tell that it's of a higher caliber than what we have here in the USA, but I don't care. I like watching the US national team, and MLS has me (and apparently only me) in its grip.

6. Baseball - Over the course of my life, I've probably watched more baseball than any other sport. I don't dislike baseball, but I'd rather watch a good pitchers duel and they don't make pitchers like they used to.

7. Professional Wrestling - You can say it's not a sport, but it is on my tv right now. It's not about the wins and losses like other sports. It's all about attitude. Have I mentioned that I have an attitude?

8. NBA - I like basketball as a sport a lot, but the NBA is just boring. When they got rid of the illegal defense call a few years ago, I thought it would lead to more team play. In many ways it did like the Pistons winning last year's championship. Still this is a league that lives for the one on one play but can't match And 1 Street Ball in that department. When my brother was talking about New Jersey and Philly battling for the last playoff spot, I had no idea what the league standings were. I don't have that same problem w/ NASCAR.

9. NHL - The NHL playoffs are great. That said, I don't watch the regular season and there aren't any playoffs this year.

There you go. Let me know when I can come over some weekend afternoon and if you provide child care. If you want to watch a sport not on this list, I'm game as long as you provide the beer.

2 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

It seems like I'm the only person defending the NBA these days but I'll give you three reasons to watch:

1) Lebron James
2) Phoenix Suns
3) Charles Barkley on TNT

I would think if you watched any of these you might appreciate it more. On my list, the NBA is behind the NFL and college basketball. Tennis and golf are also on my list. I don't begrudge you the choice of professional wrestling but I do NASCAR. That would be second on my list of shows that are not sports but involve people tinkering with a machine to make it operate more efficiently. First is Junkyard Wars.

10:03 PM

 
Blogger Dan Smith said...

Actually, the only NBA I've watched this year has involved Lebron James. I haven't seen the Suns. I can get my Charles Barkley fix on PTI and recently the Tonight Show. I'll probably get into it more when the playoffs start. It will still have a hard time moving up my list.

I'm not going to try to convert anyone to NASCAR fandom except Izabella.

I should add golf as #10 b/c I do watch it once in a while for 3 reasons: Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, and plaid pants.

11:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home