Monday, March 03, 2008

Nothing Venture, Nothing Win

Sir Edmund Hilary has done a lot more in his life than you and I will ever do. First of all he climbed Mt Fucking Everest. Then they started calling him Sir (w/o adding you're making a scene). In his autobiography he comes across as a guy who is humbled by the accolades and opportunities that arose from being the first white guy to reach the top of a mountain. He seems a lot less interested in reliving that trip than talking about some of his other less famous adventures. I won't rehash the guy's life here, but this book inspired me to walk outside and find a path through the woods to Desmond's school. It didn't matter that I got mud all over my fancy walking boots. I felt the sense of accomplishment that I could shepherd my kids through a pathway to education. I don't feel that way after reading indie rock biographies, but Sir Edmund Hillary tells his story in a truly awe inspiring fashion. This is worth reading.