Saturday, January 19, 2008

Now I Can Die In Peace

Let me start by saying I like the Sports Guy. I had kind of the opposite reaction a lot of people have b/c I didn't like him the first few times I read him. His complaints about not being able to get a sports column in the newspaper b/c of the entrenched old guys seemed disingenuous b/c I knew a guy who had done just that, but after a few reads I got over it. While I'm not a fan of the Boston sports teams (and the fans of those teams are even worse) and some of his jokes are worn out at this point, I still enjoy most of his columns. I even knew that his book was just a bunch of his old columns. What I did not know was that the whole book revolved around the Red Sox. No NBA, one column on the Patriots first Super Bowl win (ugh), and the rest of it was all Red Sox all the time. Let's just say I'm looking forward to his next book. I think.

1 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

I like the Sports Guy too and would say that his complaints about the Boston Globe were valid since he excels in a long free-format writing style that's mostly, but not entirely, about sports rather than the more traditional sports column at which our friend Politi is more proficient.

That being said, his "fan"-ishness is a bit grating especially now that his teams are on top of the world. And his Karate Kid and Rocky references wore thin a long time ago.

10:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home