Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Founding Faith and Knockemstiff

I finished these two books around the same time, so I'll list them together. Founding Faith informs us that people who claim our founding fathers were deists and people who claim our nation was founded as a Christian nation are both wrong. Rational people live in the creamy middle and the founders were rational people. Taking our country to extreme positions on either side is fine, but don't say you have the blessing of James Madison to do so. I have some simple descriptions that will let you know exactly what Knockemstiff is about. If this means anything to you, Titus would recommend this book to you. If that doesn't mean anything to you, it's a collection of fucked up stories about fucked up people doing fucked up things. The blurb on the jacket that says "I had to take a walk after each story to collect my thoughts" is spot on. It's fiction but it seems very, very real.

2 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

I have the blessing of James Madison to leave a comment on your blog. I thought this was funny: "Taking our country to extreme positions on either side is fine". That's reassuring.

10:38 AM

 
Blogger Dan Smith said...

Ok, having the opinion that our country should go to extreme positions is fine. Actually doing it, not so great.

9:13 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home