Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Time Machine

I'm pretty sure it's still 2008, but I've had several experiences recently that sent me back in time. First, I went w/ my younger brother to Toms River, NJ for the first time in 19 years. I guess it's changed, but I couldn't tell you how. However, I've changed enough to not resent the entire town. That's progress! We also went to Atlantic City for the first time since I was old enough to gamble. Here are some excerpts from exciting A-City conversation.

Kevin: (while we are eating at Hooters) Dude, did you notice the pregnant waitresses in this place?
Me: No. (FYI, pregnant waitresses wear t-shirts and non-pregnant waitresses wear the tank tops).

Me: (at the blackjack table talking to the seemingly European dealer) So, Simeon where are you from?
Simeon: Ventnor.
Me: Wow, I haven't lived here in a really long time.
Simeon: Oh, originally. Bulgaria.

As if that wasn't enough, the Polvo show on Saturday was a who's who of 1994 Chapel Hill. Pete claimed to feel old, but I'm pretty sure he was in the middle of the age bell curve for attendees. He told his old age theory to some girl there and she said that babysitters must have been in huge demand in the Chapel Hill area that night. That's probably true. Still, it's a good feeling to know that other people have had widely different (although in many ways very similar) lives than you since 1994, but you can still have a good time talking about the past, present, and future.

Finally, I was cleaning out Izzy's closet and found a storage container w/ wedding gifts. The fancy silverware and wine glasses were still in good shape, so I put them in a more accessible cabinet. I hope I sent thank you notes for all of that stuff.

That's a lot of memories from 3 different decades. W/ all the changes that have taken place in my life (and I'm sure yours too), it's good to have enough distance to forget (or at least put behind me) the bad stuff and remember that I had lots of fun in a lot of different places w/ a lot of different people. And those people and places will always be w/ me even when they aren't there. So cheers, thanks a lot to all of them.

1 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

Jersey still sucks though.

6:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home