Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Motherless Brooklyn

As you may have gathered, I don't read a lot of fiction (to loosely quote Dom Irrera I appreciate it when some comedian prefaces a joke w/ "true story" b/c God forbid you make up something funny to tell an audience). However, when the guy from Deadspin eschews dick jokes to recommend a book I put it on the reading list (if the library has it). Maria brought me this book from the library and she commented that the author, Jonathan Lethem, wrote a book that she wants to read. Having read one of his books, I'm ready to read anything of his put in front of me. I do like crime fiction and those novels by Jim Thompson always leave me wanting to write something of my own (besides grocery lists although I plan to incorporate those into some larger work). This falls into the same category. He may not write in this genre all the time, but there was enough in this book to know that he can make up a story that keeps the reader interested no matter what the subject is. The main story is a guy w/ Tourette's trying to solve a murder. Random "EATME"s aside, it doesn't get in the way of relating everyday activities of a detective to the "diagnosed" compulsions of a freak show. After reading this it seems like people w/ Tourette's should all just become private detectives and we'd wipe out an epidemic (private dicks w/o an explanation for their behavior). That's how convincing this book was. True crime, sometimes scary. Made up crime, entertaining in this instance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home