Monday, March 28, 2005

Panthers Offensive Line Strategy

I was reading Len Pasquarelli's tip sheet this week and saw an interesting bit about the Panthers. Former 1st round pick Jordan Gross is moving back to right tackle. The talking heads say he really struggled at left tackle last year after an excellent rookie season at right tackle. I watched a lot of Panthers games last year, and while I won't claim to be an expert on line play I know when things are going right. When rookie Travelle Wharton took over at left guard last year, the Panthers running game really took off. Sub 4th stringer Nick Goings put together a string of 100 yard games. It seemed like most of his running was going to the left side w/ center Jeff Mitchell, Wharton, and Gross establishing some good running lanes. I don't watch enough game film to tell you what Jordan Gross was doing right or wrong, but I think the guard play was a big factor in his struggles. The Panthers lost their 2 starting guards from 2003 and a starting tackle. And the right tackle position last year was crap. The only notable thing accomplished by regular starter Matt Willig was an abundance of untimely penalties. Not just lineman false starts and holds, there were also personal fouls that ruined drives. I know enough about offensive line play to say that he needs to be replaced. There were several problems including injuries and a retirement that caused the line play and thus the entire offense to suffer. However, by the end of the season I think the play of Nick Goings (5 games of 100 yards rushing in 7 starts) says the line was doing considerably better. I'll never complain about signing quality offensive linemen, but I think there could be a really good offensive line for the Panthers this year. I just don't know who will be in what position. I will bet that Jeff Mitchell starts at center again, but that was part of the problem last year (lack of consistency) (the other problem was a couple of stiffs mixed in w/ the good players). Let's hope they gel before their record is 1-7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home