Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Best Game Ever

I can't give this book a glowing review. I love football and I've liked a lot of Mark Bowden's books, but this isn't even his best book about pro football (that would be Bringing The Heat). Even some of his footnotes cite the finest book I've ever read on pro football (America's Game) which made me want to put this book down and start reading America's Game again. It did pick up w/ the details of the Colts game tying drive at the end of the 4th quarter, but that's 3/4 of the way through the book. I would have enjoyed a more detailed breakdown of the game (there's some of that) and less exposition on the men involved in the game. Raymond Berry's practice habits were interesting, but Art Donovan's life as a liquor salesman was less so (I know I can't believe I said that either).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home