Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Something gained, something lost

I recently got Pete's old lawnmower b/c it was the exact same kind I had. I figured I could use it for parts even if the engine was shot. I loaned my lawnmower to my brother-in-law and he told me it broke on him. He thought he broke the engine block b/c it was totally out of oil. I hoped b/w the two lawnmowers I could salvage one working mower, but 2 broken engines are beyond my capacity to fix things. However, after putting more oil in it my mower acted like the spark plug wasn't firing when I tried to start it. I took apart Pete's mower and took out the piece that connects the spark plug wire to the electrical system in the mower (it has a plastic clip to connect the two sets of wires) and put it in my mower. When I started it up, it ran like a champ. The only problem is when I was taking Pete's mower apart I found that my mower has a whole bunch of broken pieces on it. This could be the summer of small engine repair. I'll have to check my astrological calendar.

I was cleaning under the cushions of the couch today and I found the last of my 1984 Glenn Hubbard baseball cards (although this link looks like the 84 Fleer card was the one to have). I discovered 3 of them in the 90's and started using them as bookmarks until they slowly disappeared. I thought I had one back until I picked it up and it was soaking wet. I had to throw it away b/c the comic book guy's mint condition guide graded it "suitable for honeycomb".

3 Comments:

Blogger Otto Man said...

Man, my wife gets impressed when I put together an IKEA bookcase. You're in a whole 'nother league.

3:38 PM

 
Blogger Bird Spot said...

I'm so happy your lawn-care posts are back. David recently read that mowing your lawn is roughly equivalent to driving 100 miles in terms of emissions, pollution, etc. (Obviously, that depends on how big your lawn is). He wishes that would be enough to get him off the hook of mowing every week or so, but until our neighbors catch on, he's got to keep up with the Joneses. Another thing he recently found out about is slow-growing grass and he's considering re-seeding our whole yard.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Dan Smith said...

My mower broke midway through my Sunday afternoon trimming. It may or may not be terminal. I'll keep you all posted. I did get the bonus that my dad is going to come over and mow it for me today.

You can buy David an electric mower for Father's Day if your yard isn't too big. I asked Maria if she wanted a vacuum cleaner or a sewing machine for Mother's Day. Maybe she'll get a lawnmower.

10:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home