Thursday, May 12, 2005

Guilford College Football 4 months away

The 2005 Guilford College Football schedule came out recently. The craziest thing to me in D-3 football is the total schedule imbalance. The Quakers are playing 6 of 10 games at home and another game, the Soup Bowl, is right here in town against Greensboro College (I see Greensboro College calls it the "Souper Bowl" but you have to have some Quaker humility and not get caught up in what a college whose nickname is the Pride says and does). Last year they played 3 home games. These big D-1A football schools can't survive w/o 6 home games a year. I know by far football is the most expensive sport to compete in and at the 1-A level they rake in big bucks from an extra game w/ an extra 50-100K people in the house. But I'd be willing to bet Guilford makes more money from not having to charter buses 3 extra times than they make on the 3 extra home games.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I find it interesting and fitting that in choosing a team mascot, Methodist Greensboro College chose the lion, ancient nemesis of Christians as well as Daniel.

Go Quakers!

8:07 AM

 
Blogger Dan Smith said...

I was baptized at a Methodist church. No wonder my family left for another denomination when I was a child.

10:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home