Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Myrtle Beach Vacation

The most noteworthy thing that happened on our vacation was we lost Desmond. We were at the pool and were planning to go out on the beach. He had been 10 steps ahead of us all weekend and left the pool area to head to the beach. After we got our beach bag together, we headed out there and didn't see him. Since he had his surfboard we guessed he was in the water. He wasn't. I went back to the pool area (there were 4 pools) and couldn't find him anywhere. I went back to the beach and walked along the surf awhile and still couldn't find him. Maria was pretty upset at this point. I convinced her we should go back to the room and see if he was up there and as we headed back there he was w/ the cleaning lady bringing him out to look for us. Needless to say I tipped this cleaning lady very well even though I told her we didn't need the room cleaned every time she came by. I guess he learned his lesson b/c he was only 5 steps ahead of us for the rest of the vacation. The whole episode lasted maybe 10 minutes, but it was pretty scary.

Other than that it was pretty typical. The hotel was nice enough. We were smart enough to get a suite so the kids could go to sleep and we could shut the door and watch the Discovery Channel. The KISS Coffeehouse is still standing. They seem to be more focused on the actual coffee w/ about 20 flavors instead of the 4 they had last time (Maria bought Let Me Go Rocky Road). The rides were as usual a family favorite.

About the only other interesting thing to happen was we ate at what I think was a segregated restaurant. We went to this pancake house at lunch and this black lady and her teenage son walked in right before us. As I was holding the door for my family a teenage girl who was w/ the mother and son came to the door so I held it open for her too. I noticed a handful of black people eating in this section of the restaurant. The hostess immediately seated my family despite the fact that these people were there first and any table that seats 4 would be the logical place to seat 3. She took us to the other side of the restaurant which was separated by glass windows and we sat in a section full of white people. Maybe it was all innocuous, but I didn't have a real good feeling about this place's intentions. Probably b/c it was staffed by a bunch of thick accented Europeans. You just can't trust their kind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bird Spot said...

Losing kids is very scary. We've lost Grace 3 times since April and each time it gets scarier. Speaking of scary, we watched Gene Simmons and his wife get face lifts on their reality show. Really freakin scary.

9:59 AM

 
Blogger Dan Smith said...

I used to think only bad parents lost kids (even temporarily). Now that I've had kids for a few years I know that it's actually bad children who go off and get lost on their own.

4:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home