Sunday, July 08, 2007

Miller Lite - Cae bien

I've been watching soccer on Univision recently and thing that strikes me the most is that all of the ads are exactly the same as English language ads but they are geared toward people who understand Spanish. Maybe you've seen these Vytorin ads that discuss treating your high cholesterol w/ diet and medicine. Well, evidently Spanish speaking people have the same problems as English speaking people except their food features a lot of flan and their relatives are aunt Flora. I bring this up as an excuse to tell my story of going to Mexico and highlight my total lack of knowledge of the Spanish language. I walked into Neuvo Laredo on a pedestrian bridge over the Rio Grande. Immediately, hucksters were asking me if I needed to see a doctor. I didn't realize it at the time, but it was all a scam for me to get prescription drugs (needless to say I didn't get any). In fact, the only thing we did was go to a bar on some side street. Nobody spoke English, but cervazas were $1. While I knew I was being totally ripped off, I also knew I couldn't get a can of Tecate for less than that in Texas. A guy asked me for a light and I understood when he said "Gracias" but I couldn't remember the Spanish words for "thank you" (it's "de nada"). A few minutes later he was pointing to a Senor and Senorita dancing in the bar and was motioning for me to go up to them while he laughed. I thought he wanted me to dance w/ him, but in retrospect I realize he wanted me to try and dance w/ her (and presumably get my ass kicked). Either way I was smart enough to say no and went back to Texas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home