Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Things in the news

The Chris Benoit murder/suicide is absolutely crazy. As I told Maria, I can understand killing yourself or killing your wife but killing a little kid is the sign of batshit insanity. Of course every story on it has to mention roid rage. My personal belief is that prescription pain killers are just as bad for your heart (and in this case your brain), but it's steroids that get all the publicity. Wrestling no doubt has abusers of both, but in reality steroids are only a problem for professional (or aspiring pro) athletes while pain killers are abused by all kinds of people. Still I haven't seen the painkillers mentioned as a possible cause of this awful event.

Hey, guess what? The POTUS has all kinds of executive powers that can shape our present and future. Who knew? Keeping Scooter Libby out of jail was a predictable outcome, but our newest Supreme Court justices have to be admired for their judicial restraint. Instead of overturning previous rulings like some of their colleagues want, they make the interpretations of the cases in front of them so narrow that they are of very, very limited use to the lower courts (I'm practicing my own form of restraint by not saying they are of no use). That isn't really what the term stare decisis is supposed to mean although you can always argue otherwise. But hey, don't blame me I voted for Kodos.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Smith said...

Prescription pain killers are the new pot.

11:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home