Thursday, August 17, 2006

Fantasy Football

I guess the most important part of fantasy football is naming your team. I have 2 teams this year. The 1st is The High Life (the champagne of teams). The other one is the Bait Shop Weirdos. I named it after the Simpsons episode where Homer claims he'll be a hero if he catches General Sherman at Catfish Lake instead of spending time working on his marriage. When Marge asks who he will be a hero to, he responds those weirdos at the bait shop. I keep thinking of that when I read the News and Record's new letter to the editor feature. It's set up like a blog so people can leave comments on the letters to the editor (as opposed to writing a response in hopes that the paper will publish it). In theory it seems like a good way to get the community to discuss topics that concern the average citizen, but in reality it's the same people commenting over and over again w/ the same inflexible opinions. And the funniest part is I've never seen a comment from the original letter writer in any of the threads where people alternate praise and scorn for the LTE. In fairness I don't read the blog every single day, so maybe it's happened. Like most blogs there are some interesting links and some reasonable ideas once in a while, but I still feel like it's a bunch of Homers fishing for General Sherman.

1 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

Any good team name is usually a Simpsons reference. I scoured the Simpsons' Archive before the season looking for phrases that would make good team names. But out of my 3 teams, I ended up only using one Simpsons reference for my team name (The Sassy Robots). I was going to go with "I'm Idaho!" for Otto's league, but I thought that would have been a little too simple for a league full of Simpsons obsessives.

8:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home