Friday, October 28, 2005

Be my friend, get your wares praised here

Coincidentally or not, I finished reading Dr Kruse's book White Flight on the same day I got my first listen to the new Black Taj album. The KK book was really interesting. A lot of people are familiar w/ the big events of the civil rights movement, but by focusing specifically on Atlanta he gets the details of neighborhood, public services, school, and finally business integration over the course of many years. He shoots down the theories of the old segregationists, like Jesse Helms, who claim that the federales intervened where they weren't needed and the South would have integrated on its own terms. It may be specifically about Atlanta, but the details in this could be applied to almost any southern city of the time. I'll let you read his analysis of how these policies are the platform of the current Republican party yourself, but he limits that to the end of the book so right wing historians can enjoy the "undisputed" facts (quotation marks brought to you by the Fox News Channel).
It didn't take as long for me to digest the Black Taj album, but in the long run I'm pretty sure I'll spend as much time w/ it as the KK book. I've tried to get my own mix of it by programming the songs 9 through 1 and listening to it that way after playing it the normal way. The not so secret message you get when playing it backwards is those guys were born to rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home