Saturday, September 24, 2005

Rock Action

Since Curb Your Enthusiasm is back on the air w/ new episodes this weekend, we decided to get a drink before going to Greene St to get drinks. We went to Fisher's Grille since it's downtown too. Believe it or not, that was actually a good idea b/c Maria and I could have a conversation w/o one of us screaming and the other shaking his/her head saying I can't hear you. We caught the tail end of Thunderlip's set. The singer was wearing a cape, cut off jean shorts, and maybe shoes. I saw him at the bar later and he had changed, so I asked him where the cape was. Then I saw him at the bar again and demanded that he go put the cape on. I'm glad I didn't see him a third time b/c I would have probably been punched. Maria and I were easily the most obnoxious people there. The people in the Greensboro rock scene (bands and scenesters) are very, very nice although it may be that I'm not trying to pick up women so I'm a little more relaxed than I would have been 10 years ago. The nicest of the nice, Tiger Bear Wolf, played next. As per usual, they rocked harder than Gibraltar. There wasn't a set list on the stage, so I was a little nervous about trying to remember all the songs to record for posterity here on the blog. However, Maria insisted that we go and talk to them and of course they graciously provided one (Light, Lens, Tongues, Earth, New, Winner, One Rev (bonus points that it was written on the cardboard from a 12 pack of PBR)). I would have been satisfied w/ just Tiger Bear Wolf, but the night belonged to Kudzu Wish. After all it was their last show and they have provided quality entertainment to this town for several years so they deserve at least one night. I didn't take a set list to report to you mainly b/c during their last song about half the club was up on stage w/ them. It looked really cool from out in the crowd, so I didn't try and get up there. I'd say it was a fitting tribute for their final notes. And what's a night on the town w/o a people update. Of course, Jeremy is a bartender at the club so I spoke briefly w/ him b/w songs. As a beer drinker I thought the benefit of having a friend tend bar was you always got served promptly. I discovered through Maria's Seven and Ginger orders that another benefit is super strong liquor drinks. I even complained to the other bartender that she didn't put as much Segram's Seven as Jeremy did. She responded to the challenge and topped it off. We also saw Kevin's friend Melanie. She gave me the lowdown on why Kudzu Wish is breaking up (one of the guys joined the Peace Corps) and even bought me a beer. That's a good encounter. Finally, I was standing next to the tall dude w/ glasses who I realized was WQFS dj extrodinaire Chuck Carroll. I've mentioned this before, but he trained me back in 1990 when I started doing a show there. His 6-8pm Thursday show, for my money, is still the best show around and I'm glad I had enough liquid confidence to tell him so. If all that wasn't enough we decided to go to the after party, but Maria "fell asleep" on the ride over there. It was probably for the best b/c the kids don't understand terms like after party or hangover. They just want breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home