Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Stuff to get angry about

First of all, Desmond was jumping on our bed and broke the bed frame. I guess it's not so bad b/c we just put the mattress on the floor, but then he had the nerve to tell me I hurt his feelings when I sent him to his room after it happened. I mustered all my parental responsibility and didn't go into sarcastic dad mode when he told me this. If parenting were the NBA, Maria would lead the league in assists.

Then, my lawnmower broke. It's missing some screws (maybe my cats don't look like me, but the mower definitely does) so starting it puts more stress on it than it should. I've broken this particular piece (the rotor?) 3 times now. It's only $9 for the replacement part so I don't want to replace the mower, but looking for replacement screws is a maddening experience. I can come close to what should fit in there, but there's a reason my ratchet set has separate 1/4 and 5/16th pieces.

Finally, we participated in the Crop Walk and NC House member Pricey Harrison and her supporters had the nerve to carry around signs typically reserved for yards and hold them aloft for the entire walk. Sure there were other people who carried signs, but the represented such political entities as Unitarian Universalist Church of Greensboro, First Lutheran Church, First Presbyterian Church, Christ United Methodist Church, and Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church. I thought it was great that she and her supporters participated in the walk. I thought it was fine that she and her supporters wore t-shirts promoting her candidacy during the walk. I thought it was tacky that they chose to hold their signs aloft during a walk to raise money to fight hunger throughout the world. If you want to participate and put photos on your website or in the newspaper, that's great. If you want to use the event to promote your political ambitions by drawing attention to the fact that you participated to potential voters, take a hike. I don't have anything against the lady's politics and I don't even live in her district. That didn't stop me from emailing her to express my displeasure. It shouldn't stop you either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home