Saturday, December 17, 2005

Laser Zep

Dave and I went to Laser Zeppelin last night. It was better than I remembered. I got him to admit the first 15-20 minutes were good, although he got me to admit that I didn't think it was very good when we went 10+ years ago. Part of the problem was we were forced to sit on the very front row, so the only way to watch it was to get as horizontal as possible. That's not a real comfortable position to be in for an hour. Here were the highlights. The Immigrant Song lends itself to a lot of laser interpretation. There was a viking, his long ship, and a hammer like Thor's. The 3 different dancing women (cowgirl, classy lady, slutty lady) during Living Loving Maid were enough to satisfy any teenage boy's fantasies. I think it was during Good Times, Bad Times, but there was definitely a zeppelin cruising across the sky and when it got to the center of the planetarium it turned towards the audience and got bigger and bigger until you felt like you were crushed by a Led Zeppelin. The use of the lower portion of the screen during No Quarter was a fitting tribute to John Paul Jones' low end contribution to Zeppelin's music (I may be looking a little too deep into the meaning behind the lasers). And finally, Stairway To Heaven not only featured a lady looking for the stairway (although it looked more like an escalator), but also the wizard from the inside of the 4th album who I think was revealed as Jimmy Page during The Song Remains the Same movie. Tonight is the last night so give me a call if you want to go. I think it may take another 10 years to get Dave to go again.

2 Comments:

Blogger peb said...

That sounds like the exact same show that we saw 10 years ago. No need to mess with perfection, I suppose.

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Otto Man said...

The Natural History Museum in NYC has a show called "Sound-Vision" that's easily the greatest achievement in laser-rock ever created. The graphics are phenomenal and the music was selected by Moby.

2:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home