Saturday, June 18, 2005

Changing the oil in the van

I changed the oil in the van for the first time this morning. I've had it for a little over a year, but the kindly dealer gave me certificate for 5 free oil changes for the first year. I didn't quite know what to expect b/c I'd never been under the thing, and looking at the engine from the top it looks like pretty much every car made in the last 10 years (all packed in so only small childlike hands can reach anything). As a comparison, I changed the oil in my 89 Cavalier yesterday and it took me 20 minutes, but I've done it a few times and know what is needed. So this morning I backed the van out of the garage, and when I got out to set up the ramps Desmond was at the door freaking out b/c I didn't let him ride in the van. I let him get in the front seat which meant I had to bring Izabella and put her in her seat b/c she can't stay inside by herself. That added about 5 minutes of idling time to the van. I got it up on the ramps w/o too much trouble. That eased my first concern that these ramps wouldn't support the van. To be extra safe, I put some jack stands under it. I don't know that it helped any, but it made me feel better. I got out the 5/8 socket I use on the Cavalier, but it was too big. I moved down to a 1/2, but that was too small. The 9/16 didn't fit either. I ventured to a side of the toolbox I never use, and tried a few metric sockets. To my surprise 13mm fit the bolt on the oil pan produced by Ford Motor Company. It took me a few minutes to get the bolt off since the dealer tightens it w/ an air wrench. The oil filter was in a easy to reach place, but I couldn't get my oil filter wrench to move it. It took both hands and I have a little burn on the back of my right hand (from that extra idling time), but I got it off. All toghether w/ cleanup and kid chasing it took me 45 minutes. That doesn't seem too bad for the 1st time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home