Sunday, August 15, 2004

NASCAR in the rain

Qualifying for the race was rained out on Friday forcing me to get my auto racing fix another way. I've always liked the road courses in NASCAR. Watkins Glen used a support race from the Rolex series (I think that's what it was) that went on even w/ NASCAR qualifying rained out. This series was new to me, so I found plenty of interesting new racing wrinkles. They had rain tires but they only used these when it was raining really hard. You can go a lot faster on the no-tread tires even in a light rain, so they held out until there was a huge wreck. This thing seemed to go on for 5 minutes. It was in the final turn (#11 (where all the passing takes place in the NASCAR race but not one pass occurred in the Rolex race)) right before the pit entrance, and I don't know what some of the last guys in this wreck were thinking. In their defense I'll say I don't know what the person on the other end of the radio was thinking b/c the cars came flying into this turn when cars were piled up against the wall from spinning out. Crazy and dangerous. The cars were also equipped w/ windshield wipers and working headlights. NASCAR has headlights that are actually stickers that look like headlights, and they threaten to run the road races in the rain every year saying they only need a motor to run the windshield wipers and rain tires. Well, they do that every year that it's not supposed to rain. This year w/ a chance of rain mysteriously there aren't any rain tires. No wonder the other racing series mock NASCAR. Of course, NASCAR could buy them and put them out of business (or worse put them on Spike TV), but these other series aren't w/o their flaws. In this road race there were 3 categories of cars racing simultaneously. They scored them all together on the ticker, but really you are dealing w/ 3 separate scoring categories. It makes passing more interesting for everybody, but if NASCAR did something like that the field fillers might appreciate it but it would probably cause more safety problems (Kirk Shelmerdine would finally get press for something other than his struggles). I don't know, I had a good time watching it and would watch it again but for all the negative stereotypes associated w/ NASCAR, the Rolex race still had the same commercials for Sammy Hagar's Greatest Hits and spray on truck bed liner that you see on NASCAR. These other racing series wish they had NASCAR's huge dedicated fan base and that has a lot to do w/ their whining and complaining.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Smith said...

My problem w/ Formula 1 is the technology isn't spread out. Michael Schumacher has won 12 of 13 races this season and will wrap up his 5th consecutive championship in a few weeks. Even his teammate, Rubens Barrichello, can't keep up w/ him. The guy just has the best gear around.
I did watch the US Grand Prix from Indy and it was awesome. The other races are on a little too early for me to catch them. I suppose road racing is harder to follow than oval racing if you watch it in person, but on tv it's all the same. I've watched some IRL and they are trying to become the US road racing series (Champ car USA is going to die soon. It doesn't make any money and IRL steals all their good ideas). They'll still race ovals like Indianapolis, but they are finding that the cars go too fast on some of the big oval tracks. NASCAR slowed the cars down, but that seems like it defeats the purpose of racing.
Part of the appeal NASCAR has to me is that you watch it and you think I could do that. Of course, you really can't, but it looks like your car so it seems like it would apply to your everyday life. The Formula 1 and IRL cars look like race cars while NASCAR looks like cars being raced. I like all of them though. I could watch F1 on Sunday morning, go to Biscuitville, and watch NASCAR on Sunday afternoon. That would be a great day.

3:55 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home